I am a dessert girl through and through! Growing up I had ice cream almost every night—usually an ice cream sandwich or Friendly’s (RIP Friendly’s!). If I had to choose between a pasta dinner or dessert, it would be dessert all the way! And since I need to eat chocolate daily (preferably after every meal), I try to keep healthy desserts around so I don’t end up going for a bag of chocolate chips.
I love a freezer dessert! It’s there when I want something sweet, but I don’t feel like I need to eat the entire batch right away (brownies on the counter stand no chance).
I just made something new, and I’m pretty excited about it: Chocolate Covered Pretzel Cereal Bars that are the perfect combo of no-bake, super easy and you don’t need to let them thaw before you want to take a bite. Because that’s torture.
They involve minimal ingredients, and I love a sweet and salty mix that totally hits all the cravings. I used to make cereal bars all the time when I was a kid with my mom. Not healthy (we didn’t know better in the 90’s haha—and now I sound old), but still so delicious! Took a healthier spin on a classic with better brands of cereal, pretzels, and chocolate, skipping the butter, and using a natural sweetener. I think I like them even better.
These Chocolate Covered Pretzel Cereal Bars can also be made gluten-free and dairy-free! I used grain-free pretzels by FitJoy that are so good! They use gourmet ingredients, like Himalayan pink salt, organic honey, sunflower oil, cassava and chickpea flour so the pretzels are not only quality, but delishh! There are also no artificial flavors or sweeteners. I love dipping them in hummus for a snack, or covering them in chocolate.
I love when I come across brands that make a favorite snack even better. I am not gluten-free, but I know a lot of you have a hard time tolerating gluten (I did for years, and I still need to be careful if I overdo it). So being able to eat something that you can tolerate, but also enjoy (because that is key!) can make all the difference in terms of not feeling deprived.
To read this original post in full and for other awesome recipes, visit Spinach for Breakfast!
Chocolate Covered Pretzel Cereal Bars
- 1/2 cup of peanut butter
- 1/3 cup of honey
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups of cereal
- 1/2 cup of FitJoy's grain-free pretzels, chopped
- 1 cup of chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon of coconut oil
- Add the peanut butter, honey, and vanilla to a medium pot over low heat.
- Heat until warm and creamy, stirring continuously.
- Add in the cereal and 1/2 cup of pretzels and mix until fully coated.
- Line an 8x8 pan with parchment paper (I spray with oil first so it sticks easily).
- Pour the cereal mixture into the pan and press down until it's in an even layer.
- In a small bowl add the chocolate chips and the coconut oil and heat until melted.
- Pour over the top and spread evenly.
- Sprinkle the 1/3 cup of pretzel pieces on top.
- Place in the freezer for at least 30 minutes, cut into bars or squares.
Spinach for Breakfast
Alyssa and Maria are two sisters in Manhattan with a passion for sharing their health and wellness journey. They created Spinach for Breakfast as a recipe and lifestyle resource for anyone looking to make positive changes. They value the importance of clean eating and healthy living, but believe it is all about a realistic balance.