Crispy grain-free pretzel-crusted chicken with honey mustard sauce is a show-stopping entree! You’d never know this tender, crispy chicken was gluten-free and grain-free!
Note from FitJoy: This recipe was originally posted on Julia's blog, The Roasted Root. To read the original post and for more amazing recipes, head here!
Show of hands - who here loves crispy chicken?
One of my family’s dinner staples when I was growing up was oven-baked “fried” chicken made with flour and bread crumbs. I have fond memories of gathering around the table with my parents and three siblings for a peaceful dinner, as we all loved the dish. Cheers to crispy chicken bringing diplomacy to the table!
It’s easy to prepare this classic entree even if you follow a gluten-free or grain-free diet. The pretzels are made with cassava flour, potato starch, chickpea flour, and tapioca starch. Not only would you never know FitJoy's pretzels are gluten-free, but as it turns out they make for a most excellent crust for your chicken, beef, fish or seafood. You can still get the mouth-wateringly tender yet crispy animal protein you love!
This recipe for Pretzel-Crusted Baked Chicken couldn’t be any easier! All you need is a bag of FitJoy's Grain Free Pretzels, a couple tablespoons of gluten-free (or grain-free) flour, chicken, and eggs! The rest is just bonus points!
...But speaking of bonus points, be sure to whip up the honey mustard sauce! It makes for an amazing complement to the tasty chicken.
I use thin-cut chicken breasts or small chicken tenders for this baked chicken recipe, but if your only option is a standard thick chicken breast, no sweat. Simply slice your cutlets in half horizontally (hamburger-style) to make them thinner. This will ensure the tenderest, crispiest result.
So let’s make it!
How to Cook Chicken in a Skillet:
Want to make this chicken in a skillet for an even crispier result? Simply heat ¼ inch of high-temperature cooking oil (such as vegetable oil, avocado oil, or algae oil) in a large skillet over medium heat. Carefully place the chicken in the hot oil and cook 3 to 4 minutes per side, or until chicken is cooked through. You may need to do this in two or three batches.
- You can replace the almond flour with gluten-free all-purpose flour.
- Season the “breading” with your favorite spices and herbs, such as Italian seasoning, onion powder, cumin, ground mustard, etc.
- Rather than using chicken, you can use thin-cut white fish like tilapia, cod, or halibut.
- Note: You will end up with more pretzel mixture than you need, so feel free to double the amount of chicken you bake (up to 3 pounds).
PRETZEL-CRUSTED BAKED CHICKEN
- 1 (5-ounce) bag grain-free pretzels
- 2 Tbsp super fine almond flour
- 1 tsp ground paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1.5 to 3 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into thin fillets
- 2 eggs
Honey Mustard Sauce:
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 3 Tbsp cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp raw honey, or more to taste
- ¼ tsp sea salt, to taste
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Pour a full (5-ounce) bag of pretzels into your food processor or blender. Process until you have a coarse flour.
- Transfer the ground pretzels to a mixing bowl along with the flour, paprika, garlic powder, and sea salt. Stir everything together until well-combined.
- Whisk together two eggs in a separate bowl.
- Coat a chicken breast in the egg mixture. Transfer it to the bowl with the pretzel mixture and coat liberally with the mixture.
- Place on the baking sheet and repeat for remaining chicken.
- Bake the chicken on the center rack of the preheated oven for 15 to 25 minutes (depending on thickness), until chicken is cooked through and crispy.
- While the chicken is baking, prepare the honey mustard sauce by combining all ingredients in a blender and blending until smooth.
- Serve chicken with honey mustard dipping sauce and your favorite side dishes!